Street Address Requirements
Street address numbers in Park Forest are assigned by the Community Development Department and must be displayed as follows:
- Section 505.1. Address identification - New and existing buildings shall have approved address numbers or approved building identification placed in a position that is plainly visible and legible from the street or road fronting the property. These numbers shall contrast with their background. Address numbers shall be Arabic numbers or alphabetical letters. The number's size and stroke shall be based on the distance from the curb as follows:
- 0 - 50 feet, 6 inches high with a one-inch stroke
- 51 - 100 feet, 8 inches high with a one-inch stroke
- 101 - 150 feet, 10 inches with a one-inch stroke
- 151 - 200 feet, 12 inches high with a one and one-half-inch stroke
- 201 feet or greater, 14 inches with a one and one-half-inch stroke
- Where access is by means of a private road and the building cannot be viewed from the public way, a monument, pole, or other sign or means shall be used to identify the structure.
- Section 505.3. Rear door identification - Where required by the fire chief or his designee, a premises identification sign shall be prominently affixed to the rear door. It shall be the duty of the owner, managing agent, and occupant of every building in the municipality to have placed thereon, in a place easily visible from the street, figures at least three inches in height on any residence or apartment building and six inches high on any store or business, and of contrasting color to the building’s exterior, showing the street address number of the building. Numbers must be block style; no script numbers are allowed.